ReToasted

Modern Parenting

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Modern Parenting

Post by Honeybee on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Aqua wrote:
Claire wrote:
Aqua wrote:I  was in a cafe recently, when a young couple with two children came in, one looked about 3, the other one in a pushchair looked about 12-18months'ish. The guy went up to order, and came and sat down. Instantly both adults got out their phones. They had their order of drinks brought to the table, and they'd ordered coffees for themselves, but nothing for the children. They never focused on the kids the whole time they were in there. Despite the toddler constantly ask for a drink by shouting "Dink, dink", and the one in the pushchair launching everything out of it to obviously get a bit of attention. All they did was sit looking at their phones. Not a word was uttered. Neither child could speak coherently for their age.

After a few more "Dink" protests it became too much for me to ignore any longer. I had to say something. Poor little mites.

What did you say?

I turned around and said "Excuse me, are you enjoying your coffee" The guy looked up and said "Yeah, we love Lavazza" I said "Well that's good you're enjoying them, and no doubt the kiddies would have enjoyed a drink whilst you drank yours. They didn't get one it seems. The fact they've both been trying to get your attention that they'd like one for quite some time it seems, a fact, you'd both be aware of that if you weren't both so engrossed in your phones"

He got up and got them a Fruitshoot.

You told someone to go and buy their child a drink? I know what my response would have been if I had been the parent......... drum fingers
Honeybee
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua on Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Honeybee wrote:
Aqua wrote:
Claire wrote:
Aqua wrote:I  was in a cafe recently, when a young couple with two children came in, one looked about 3, the other one in a pushchair looked about 12-18months'ish. The guy went up to order, and came and sat down. Instantly both adults got out their phones. They had their order of drinks brought to the table, and they'd ordered coffees for themselves, but nothing for the children. They never focused on the kids the whole time they were in there. Despite the toddler constantly ask for a drink by shouting "Dink, dink", and the one in the pushchair launching everything out of it to obviously get a bit of attention. All they did was sit looking at their phones. Not a word was uttered. Neither child could speak coherently for their age.

After a few more "Dink" protests it became too much for me to ignore any longer. I had to say something. Poor little mites.

What did you say?

I turned around and said "Excuse me, are you enjoying your coffee" The guy looked up and said "Yeah, we love Lavazza" I said "Well that's good you're enjoying them, and no doubt the kiddies would have enjoyed a drink whilst you drank yours. They didn't get one it seems. The fact they've both been trying to get your attention that they'd like one for quite some time it seems, a fact, you'd both be aware of that if you weren't both so engrossed in your phones"

You told someone to go and buy their child a drink? I know what my response would have been if I had been the parent......... drum fingers

If you were as selfish, tight-fisted and neglectful to sit there drinking a drink and constantly on your phone, whilst your kids becoming distressed because they were so thirsty and badly in need of a drink Mad I know what my response would have been to you too. You wouldn't have liked that much either. I guess that's something you and I don't have in common. I don't support people who neglect their kids! Wink

Aqua
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybee on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Aqua wrote:
Honeybee wrote:
Aqua wrote:
Claire wrote:

What did you say?

FYI I don’t believe your story. Same as I don’t believe the yoga one or ballroom dancing one. HTH awesome

If you were as selfish, tight-fisted and neglectful to sit there drinking a drink and constantly on your phone, whilst your kids becoming  distressed because they were so thirsty and badly in need of a drink  Mad  I know what my response would have been to you too. You wouldn't have liked that much either. I guess that's something you and I don't have in common. I don't support people who neglect their kids! Wink
Honeybee
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goodwife on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Aqua wrote:
Honeybee wrote:
Aqua wrote:
Claire wrote:

What did you say?

If you were as selfish, tight-fisted and neglectful to sit there drinking a drink and constantly on your phone, whilst your kids becoming  distressed because they were so thirsty and badly in need of a drink  Mad  I know what my response would have been to you too. You wouldn't have liked that much either. I guess that's something you and I don't have in common. I don't support people who neglect their kids! Wink

Whats your feeling on those who go out to eat then give the kids titbits of their plate instead of buying them a meal.

Oh and the ones who stare at their phones and ignore the kids

Modern parenting seems to be quite selfish,
Goodwife
Burnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Goodwife wrote:
Aqua wrote:
Honeybee wrote:
Aqua wrote:
Claire wrote:

What did you say?

Whats your feeling on those who go out to eat then give the kids titbits of their plate instead of buying them a meal.

Oh and the ones who stare at their phones and ignore the kids

Modern parenting seems to be quite selfish,

I have always brought my kids a meal of their own, which they have eaten with cutlery. The ones that feed their kids titbits, which they break up and put on the table are doing their kids no favours in my opinion. It is the same with the ones that claim their kids don't eat certain foods. Often it's the parents don't like the foods, so the kids don't have them. Some parents cannot be bothered to prepare veg, and so the kids supposedly don't like it. It's more the case they've never even tried it! It all adds to fussy eating as far as I'm concerned.

The ones that stare at their phones, and ignore their kids like the ones in my original post don't impress me much. Especially when they let their kids run amok, and then get all ranty, when their kids get told off, or someone has to speak to the parents and ask them to control their kids. Or the kids are so desperate for attention, they misbehave or cry to obtain it. It's not fair on the kids.

Modern parenting seems very selfish, I am glad I'm not a modern parent Very Happy

Aqua
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by NN on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Parents that ignore their kids for their phone or whatever are few and far between thankfully.
I don’t think modern parenting is much different to traditional parenting, in that the majority are great, there’s a minority who are absolutely shit, but all are different in their approach.

Technology is part of our lives. The kids each have an iPad, and they are allowed supervised app time. There are some wonderfully educational apps around these days.
But they both go to after school clubs and run around and play like kids should. And of course even when on the app we are discussing and reading and doing it all together. For us it’s just like reading a book (which we also do).

There are educational videos they can sit and watch. Current favourites are one about continents and one about pathetic weather. Do I ever pass them a video to give me 5 mintes peace to get something else done? Guilty! But that’s about it. If I ever want to occupy them when they are driving me nuts, I tend to do it with colouring books titter
NN
Has Topping

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 pm

NN wrote:Parents that ignore their kids for their phone or whatever are few and far between thankfully.
I don’t think modern parenting is much different to traditional parenting, in that the majority are great, there’s a minority who are absolutely shit, but all are different in their approach.

Technology is part of our lives. The kids each have an iPad, and they are allowed supervised app time. There are some wonderfully educational apps around these days.
But they both go to after school clubs and run around and play like kids should. And of course even when on the app we are discussing and reading and doing it all together. For us it’s just like reading a book (which we also do).

There are educational videos they can sit and watch. Current favourites are one about continents and one about pathetic weather. Do I ever pass them a video to give me 5 mintes peace to get something else done? Guilty! But that’s about it. If I ever want to occupy them when they are driving me nuts, I tend to do it with colouring books titter

All of your points are valid, and I agree that technology is very much part of modern day-to-day life. I think it's more the parents that choose technology over their childrens' wellbeing and needs/care. It's that element of concern I was addressing anyway Very Happy

Aqua
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by NN on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Aqua wrote:
NN wrote:Parents that ignore their kids for their phone or whatever are few and far between thankfully.

All of your points are valid, and I agree that technology is very much part of modern day-to-day life. I think it's more the parents that choose technology over their childrens' wellbeing and needs/care. It's that element of concern I was addressing anyway Very Happy

Oh yeah sorry, I should have said I was mostly addressing the points in the OP.

There are some terrible parents. You see them at school, there’s one who is never ever on time picking her girl up. We’ll drive passed her 2 minutes after the bell and she’ll be stood still staring at her phone an age away from the school. As if she has all the time in the world. It makes me sad.
And I’m not a fan of those who let their kids run riot without supervising them. We were at a kids party today, with a bouncy castle, and the amount of parents with their backs turned whilst their kids used it shocked me.

Maybe I’m just a bit of a worrier? dunno
NN
Has Topping

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqua on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:18 pm

NN wrote:
Aqua wrote:

There are some terrible parents. You see them at school, there’s one who is never ever on time picking her girl up. We’ll drive passed her 2 minutes after the bell and she’ll be stood still staring at her phone an age away from the school. As if she has all the time in the world. It makes me sad.
And I’m not a fan of those who let their kids run riot without supervising them. We were at a kids party today, with a bouncy castle, and the amount of parents with their backs turned whilst their kids used it shocked me.

Being a worrier is all part of being a Mum, so never worry about worrying Very Happy

The attitudes of some parents will always puzzle, and dismay us. I guess every parent has justification for their actions. We aren't handed a manual of parenting when that little bundle of joy arrives, but common sense is often a valuable asset. Many lack that sadly.
It always amazes me how parents seem to forget the need to care for their childrens' safety. As you said about the bouncy castle use. It's just been a huge news story, highlighting the dangers of them. How quickly some forget eh?

Aqua
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by NN on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 pm

Aqua wrote:
NN wrote:
Aqua wrote:

Being a worrier is all part of being a Mum, so never worry about worrying Very Happy

The attitudes of some parents will always puzzle, and dismay us. I guess every parent has justification for their actions. We aren't handed a manual of parenting when that little bundle of joy arrives, but common sense is often a valuable asset. Many lack that sadly.
It always amazes me how parents seem to forget the need to care for their childrens' safety. As you said about the bouncy castle use. It's just been a huge news story, highlighting the dangers of them. How quickly some forget eh?

I know! Mine were mithering to go on and I was really hesitant after the news story. But I caved in the end. Although I did stand right at the edge of it ready to leap into action titter

I think it’s always going to be the same. Most of us middle through with a few mistakes here and there but always learning and growing.
Others are just selfish and shit.
NN
Has Topping

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2