ReToasted

Forum Addiction

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Forum Addiction

Post by Claire on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:28 am

People on Dogs and her have been discussing NN and her (in my view) addiction to forums. When do you think your hobby of posting on forums has crossed the line into addiction?

Should forums ever be treated the same as real life interaction with people you actually know in the flesh?
avatar
Claire
Admin

Posts : 6286
Join date : 2015-01-24

http://retoasted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Stevie on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 am

If posting on a forum or any form of social media when you feel like it is classed as an addiction, then in my view we are all guilty of being addicted.

To be honest, in my opinion i think we shouldnt be so concerned about what other people do (so long as no one is getting hurt) get on with how we want to lead our lives and let other people do the same.

avatar
Stevie
Well Done

Posts : 398
Join date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by MG on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:14 am

I agree, Stevie. I know that if I am working (and a little bored) at home I keep a few browsers up and intermittently have a look at them, if something grabs me I might respond. So maybe make, say four posts, over a period throughout the day. Like most others I imagine I am also sorting rl work, issues, cooking etc all at the same time.

Now if I were just on forums and everything else was going to pieces, that would be different.

There are far worse addictions.
avatar
MG
Burnt

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2018-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Claire on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

MG wrote:I  agree, Stevie. I know that if I am working (and a little bored) at home I keep a few browsers up and intermittently have a look at them, if something grabs me I might respond. So maybe make, say four posts, over a period throughout the day.  Like most others I imagine I am also sorting rl work, issues, cooking etc all at the same time.

Now if I were just on forums and everything else was going to pieces, that would be different.

There are far worse addictions.

Not if you're a parent there aren't. Anything that becomes more important than spending time with young children or their father is unhealthy.
avatar
Claire
Admin

Posts : 6286
Join date : 2015-01-24

http://retoasted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Claire on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Stevie wrote:If posting on a forum or any form of social media when you feel like it is classed as an addiction, then in my view we are all guilty of being addicted.

To be honest, in my opinion i think we shouldnt be so concerned about what other people do (so long as no one is getting hurt) get on with how we want to lead our lives and let other people do the same.


I agree with that but if I saw a friend of mine crossing over from posting on forums to believing forums and the people on them are real life friends, I would say something.

I'm not just talking about an individual. I mean in general.
avatar
Claire
Admin

Posts : 6286
Join date : 2015-01-24

http://retoasted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Stevie on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Claire wrote:
MG wrote:I  agree, Stevie. I know that if I am working (and a little bored) at home I keep a few browsers up and intermittently have a look at them, if something grabs me I might respond. So maybe make, say four posts, over a period throughout the day.  Like most others I imagine I am also sorting rl work, issues, cooking etc all at the same time.

Now if I were just on forums and everything else was going to pieces, that would be different.

There are far worse addictions.

Not if you're a parent there aren't. Anything that becomes more important than spending time with young children or their father is unhealthy.

Even a mother needs a little 'me' time.
avatar
Stevie
Well Done

Posts : 398
Join date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Claire on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Stevie wrote:
Claire wrote:
MG wrote:I  agree, Stevie. I know that if I am working (and a little bored) at home I keep a few browsers up and intermittently have a look at them, if something grabs me I might respond. So maybe make, say four posts, over a period throughout the day.  Like most others I imagine I am also sorting rl work, issues, cooking etc all at the same time.

Now if I were just on forums and everything else was going to pieces, that would be different.

There are far worse addictions.

Not if you're a parent there aren't. Anything that becomes more important than spending time with young children or their father is unhealthy.

Even a mother needs a little 'me' time.


Of course they do. Maybe it's a generation thing. Any time I went abroad when the boys were wee, I didn't even think of PHONING home. Very Happy It's either a generation thing or people have different priorities.

We just used to love spending time as a family away from our friends and family.
avatar
Claire
Admin

Posts : 6286
Join date : 2015-01-24

http://retoasted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Stevie on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Claire wrote:
Stevie wrote:
Claire wrote:
MG wrote:I  agree, Stevie. I know that if I am working (and a little bored) at home I keep a few browsers up and intermittently have a look at them, if something grabs me I might respond. So maybe make, say four posts, over a period throughout the day.  Like most others I imagine I am also sorting rl work, issues, cooking etc all at the same time.

Now if I were just on forums and everything else was going to pieces, that would be different.

There are far worse addictions.

Not if you're a parent there aren't. Anything that becomes more important than spending time with young children or their father is unhealthy.

Even a mother needs a little 'me' time.
 

Of course they do. Maybe it's a generation thing. Any time I went abroad when the boys were wee, I didn't even think of PHONING home. Very Happy It's either a generation thing or people have different priorities.

We just used to love spending time as a family away from our friends and family.

I suspect that when your children were small there was very little in the way of social media and mobile internet virtually unheard of.

Times have changed i suppose.
avatar
Stevie
Well Done

Posts : 398
Join date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Claire on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Stevie wrote:
Claire wrote:
Stevie wrote:
Claire wrote:
MG wrote:I  agree, Stevie. I know that if I am working (and a little bored) at home I keep a few browsers up and intermittently have a look at them, if something grabs me I might respond. So maybe make, say four posts, over a period throughout the day.  Like most others I imagine I am also sorting rl work, issues, cooking etc all at the same time.

Now if I were just on forums and everything else was going to pieces, that would be different.

There are far worse addictions.

Not if you're a parent there aren't. Anything that becomes more important than spending time with young children or their father is unhealthy.

Even a mother needs a little 'me' time.
 

Of course they do. Maybe it's a generation thing. Any time I went abroad when the boys were wee, I didn't even think of PHONING home. Very Happy It's either a generation thing or people have different priorities.

We just used to love spending time as a family away from our friends and family.

I suspect that when your children were small there was very little in the way of social media and mobile internet virtually unheard of.  

Times have changed i suppose.


You're right. However, I loved being a Mum and my husband is my best pal, so holidays were luxury for us. Plus we're all pretty gregarious so we always made friends on holiday and keep in touch with most of them.

I also spent loads of time with them both at home. I just really loved their wee company - still do.
avatar
Claire
Admin

Posts : 6286
Join date : 2015-01-24

http://retoasted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Kiki on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I think that most of us that come on forums get addicted at one time or another. I have in the past.

Not so much now though. I tend to get bored with them more easily these days.
avatar
Kiki
Burnt

Posts : 2474
Join date : 2018-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by xtras on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Kiki wrote:I think that most of us that come on forums get addicted at one time or another. I have in the past.

Not so much now though. I tend to get bored with them more easily these days.
Are you the one who has apparently flounced from dogs?

Just read it lol
avatar
xtras
Burnt

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Kiki on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 pm

xtras wrote:
Kiki wrote:I think that most of us that come on forums get addicted at one time or another. I have in the past.

Not so much now though. I tend to get bored with them more easily these days.
Are you the one who has apparently flounced  from dogs?

Just read it lol

Not that I know of. lol nothing I have announced anyway. I'll take a look.
avatar
Kiki
Burnt

Posts : 2474
Join date : 2018-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Kiki on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 pm

I can't see anything. What made you think it might be me?
avatar
Kiki
Burnt

Posts : 2474
Join date : 2018-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by xtras on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Kiki wrote:I can't see anything. What made you think it might be me?

Oh hold up
avatar
xtras
Burnt

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Kiki wrote:I can't see anything. What made you think it might be me?
Someone has mentioned you Kiki, they're stirring stuff up about you a tad. I'll tell you what thread and pages if you give me a sec.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by xtras on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:03 pm

In the interest of the site thread page 54.
avatar
xtras
Burnt

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:05 pm

xtras wrote:In the interest of the site thread page 54.
Yeah and Hobbit of course had to pitch in. lol
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by xtras on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:07 pm

jp762 wrote:
xtras wrote:In the interest of the site thread page 54.
Yeah and Hobbit of course had to pitch in. lol

I nearly wrote interest of the shite Haha!

The I noticed that.
avatar
xtras
Burnt

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Kiki on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm

I have just read it. I missed that lol

I will go on there in a bit. Thanks
avatar
Kiki
Burnt

Posts : 2474
Join date : 2018-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:10 pm

xtras wrote:
jp762 wrote:
xtras wrote:In the interest of the site thread page 54.
Yeah and Hobbit of course had to pitch in. lol

I nearly wrote interest of the shite  Haha!

The I  noticed that.
Dogs is shitter than ever right now so it would have been apt haha
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Star on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Kiki wrote:I think that most of us that come on forums get addicted at one time or another. I have in the past.

Not so much now though. I tend to get bored with them more easily these days.

Me too Kiki. When I first joined forums, I’ll admit they took over my life a lot.
But little breaks every now and again can do you the world of good. Very Happy
avatar
Star
Burnt

Posts : 1790
Join date : 2018-06-01
Location : On the coast

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Kizzie on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 pm

If I didn't need the internet I would log off for good. I know many things on it are not good for me. I'm debating on leaving DS and dogs. (do dogs delete accounts?) same ol same ol shit day in, day out.

I don't watch live TV or read the newspapers. if only I could have as much control over my online activity when at home.
I don't use it or miss it when I'm out of the house, even going abroad for 3 mths didn't see me online for more than a moment or two.. but it's on all day when at home and I would like to change that.

avatar
Kizzie
Has Topping

Posts : 883
Join date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by MG on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:23 pm

I go through phases of constant and then hardly anything when I'm fed up of it all.

At the moment a lot of my free time is spent in the garden. I just like the opportunity to be outdoors in the warm and can't be bothered taking a lap top outside with me.
avatar
MG
Burnt

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2018-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Claire on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:16 am

Kizzie wrote:If I didn't need the internet I would log off for good.  I know many things on it are not good for me.   I'm debating on leaving DS and dogs. (do dogs delete accounts?)  same ol same ol shit day in, day out.  

I don't watch live TV or read the newspapers.  if only I could have as much control over my online activity when at home.
I don't use it or miss it when I'm out of the house, even going abroad for 3 mths didn't see me online for more than a moment or two..  but it's on all day when at home and I would like to change that.


I read on my lap top Kindle and it's tempting to read forums at the same time. I should just use my Kindle Fire.
avatar
Claire
Admin

Posts : 6286
Join date : 2015-01-24

http://retoasted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Kizzie on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am

Claire wrote:
Kizzie wrote:If I didn't need the internet I would log off for good.  I know many things on it are not good for me.   I'm debating on leaving DS and dogs. (do dogs delete accounts?)  same ol same ol shit day in, day out.  

I don't watch live TV or read the newspapers.  if only I could have as much control over my online activity when at home.
I don't use it or miss it when I'm out of the house, even going abroad for 3 mths didn't see me online for more than a moment or two..  but it's on all day when at home and I would like to change that.


I read on my lap top Kindle and it's tempting to read forums at the same time. I should just use my Kindle Fire.

I must admit on the days I don't come online or just for a while, I feel much better for it. I'm so glad I left DS and dogs is hard to read properly when not logged in so I shall miss most things, then lose interest.

I don't mind being part of a small forum like this and one where guests are not posting. I like guest posting, but you never know who is trying to fuck with your head.

avatar
Kizzie
Has Topping

Posts : 883
Join date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Addiction

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum