ReToasted

Political Correctness 'Gone Mad'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Political Correctness 'Gone Mad'

Post by Fluffy on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:52 am

This follows on from a thread on E-Maul where it was suggested that political correctness had possibly gone too far, that people were forced to use what could be considered childish terminology rather than possibly offend people.

I think political correctness is great,I do. We have come so far as human beings and learnt to treat our fellow man with respect as a result. You can't go around subjecting people to abuse now based on gender,sexual preference, race etc (obviously I mean in the real world now,this excludes forums! Cool )

I was wondering though if anyone thought there was any examples where political correctness had actually gone mad and was not merely being used as a cliche.

I really can't think of any. I do think now people are far too quick to get offended by minor trivial things such as the Labour women's bus being a shade of dark pink. Apparently that was patronizing and some women found it offensive. I think it was just a dark pink van.

In the main though if political correctness has caused over sensitivity to issues and that we must accept as a downside the upside has given us so much more.

It has given minorities who used to suffer abuse and discrimination freedom and equality.I think that is way more important than people feeling a tad miffed that they may have to watch their wording on occasion.

Can anyone think of any genuine examples of 'political correctness gone mad?'
Fluffy
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Re: Political Correctness 'Gone Mad'

Post by Claire on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:46 am

Islington Council not having Pork on the menu for school dinners. Probably not PC gone mad, more pandering to a minority.

People who say that the Charlie Hebdo people went too far.

The word "Islamphobic".
Claire
Admin

http://retoasted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:24 am

Claire wrote:Islington Council not having Pork on the menu for school dinners. Probably not PC gone mad, more pandering to a minority.

The word "Islamphobic".

No I agree with the first example.

Pork should be on the menu for the children that do eat it!

Last edited by Fluffy on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fluffy
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Lips on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:28 pm

You might want to correct that spelling mistake fluffs. Shocked
Terminator Lips
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Terminator Lips wrote:You might want to correct that spelling mistake fluffs. Shocked

Oh dear God

Thankyou! Shocked
Fluffy
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Fluffy wrote:
Claire wrote:Islington Council not having Pork on the menu for school dinners. Probably not PC gone mad, more pandering to a minority.

The word "Islamphobic".

What a Face

What about Islamophobic?
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Claire wrote:
Fluffy wrote:

The word "Islamphobic".

What a Face

What about Islamophobic?

I think that there are people who do discriminate against Islamic people.

However elements of that religion are deeply disturbing to me even though I consider myself very liberal.

The repression of women for example I find indefensible.
Fluffy
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:48 pm

The thing I meant is that it is a made up word to stop people from criticising Islam.
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Lips on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Claire wrote:The thing I meant is that it is a made up word to stop people from criticising Islam.

All these "phobe" words piss me right off.

People would probably call me a homophobe. I am not scared of gays, I just don't like the twats.
Terminator Lips
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:07 am

Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:The thing I meant is that it is a made up word to stop people from criticising Islam.

People would probably call me a homophobe. I am not scared of gays, I just don't like the twats.

Why don't you like a whole section of society?
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Lips on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:52 am

Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

There are lots of sections of society that I don't like. I bet there are sections that you don't like. The idea that we have to like and be accepting of everything is ridiculous.

No doubt there are people here who don't like "homophobes" or racists. I could easily ask them why they don't like those sections of society.
Terminator Lips
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:13 pm

Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

There are lots of sections of society that I don't like. I bet there are sections that you don't like. The idea that we have to like and be accepting of everything is ridiculous.

No doubt there are people here who don't like "homophobes" or racists. I could easily ask them why they don't like those sections of society.

Because they are prejudiced bigots?
Fluffy
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Lips on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Fluffy wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

How are they prejudiced or bigoted?

For a start, prejudice means literally to pre judge. Where am I doing that?  I am judging gay people having interacted with them. I am not pre judging them...I am judging them.

See, you have just said that it is to fine not to like racists because they are bigoted. Well then surely I can dislike muslims because of their attitude to women.

Why do you have the idea that certain groups are protected?
Terminator Lips
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

Yes there is. I dislike bigots and terrorists.

But why dislike people because of their sexuality!
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Terminator Lips wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

For a start, prejudice means literally to pre judge. Where am I doing that?  I am judging gay people having interacted with them. I am not pre judging them...I am judging them.

See, you have just said that it is to fine not to like racists because they are bigoted. Well then surely I can dislike muslims because of their attitude to women.

I dislike Islam too but I don't dislike all Muslims. You are judging all gay people because of a few you have interacted with.
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

I dislike Islam too but I don't dislike all Muslims. You are judging all gay people because of a few you have interacted with.

Agree with BIB Claire.

Aspects of Islam are worrying and have no place in modern society but there are also many peaceful moderate Muslims so it makes no sense to tar all with the same stereotypical brush.
Fluffy
Lightly Toasted

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Lips on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

Well fluffy has judged all homophobes after only interacting with a few.

Terminator Lips
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Lips on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:24 pm

Fluffy wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

Agree with BIB Claire.

Aspects of Islam are worrying and have no place in modern society but there are also many peaceful moderate Muslims so it makes no sense to tar all with the same stereotypical brush.

Bollocks.

The definition of a muslim is someone that follows the Quran.

Saying there are moderate muslims is like saying there were moderate nazis.
Terminator Lips
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:40 am

Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

Why don't you like gay people though? Three of the loveliest people in my life are gay men!
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 am

Terminator Lips wrote:

Bollocks.

The definition of a muslim is someone that follows the Quran.

Saying there are moderate muslims is like saying there were moderate nazis.

Yeah well, with everything that's going on in the name of Islam, you have to wonder what the peaceful ones are following...
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminator Lips on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 am

Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:
Claire wrote:
Terminator Lips wrote:

Why don't you like gay people though? Three of the loveliest people in my life are gay men!

They just give me the creeps. Always bitchy little queens. Can't shut the fuck up about their own sexuality and have to go to things like the mardi gras so they can scream from the rooftops about how gay they are. I have never come across a nice gay person, ever. I can only speak as I find.
Terminator Lips
Well Done

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:23 am

I think you must move in the wrong circles TL!
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Az on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 pm

I don't dislike/hate/fear any religion/race/creed/gender or orientation - what's the point?
Az

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Az wrote:I don't dislike/hate/fear any religion/race/creed/gender or orientation - what's the point?

I dislike Islam...
Claire
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Az on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Claire wrote:
Az wrote:I don't dislike/hate/fear any religion/race/creed/gender or orientation - what's the point?

I dislike Islam...

We don't have that here. :cherry:
Az

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next