ReToasted

Electronics & Gadgets

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Thought I'd start a tech thread. I'm into having great Sound & Vision the best I can afford at any given time. It's been my thing and a Hobby for about 15 years now. I'm up on the latest tech, TVs, HI-FI separates, Amps, Speakers etc And I know a good number of decent review sites, if anyone wants to check out expert reviews before making a purchase.

Also if people want to ask a tech question for example about 4K, HDR, HLG, they can do it here. And any buying advice someone may want can be discussed here as well. General techy advice if someone is stuck as regards to how to set something up is also welcome.

Computer related things I'm not so up on, although I know my way around such things to an extent. But I'm sure there are other people here who are well up on laptops and the like, and the ins and out of how to sort out any issues that may come up.

I'm going to be buying a Roku streaming stick+ next week, I have plenty of Apps built into my TV. But the Roku is suppose to offer a very stable WI-FI connection it has a built in signal amplifier. It's suppose be a great all-round streaming device.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by Squirrel Nutley on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:14 pm

I have a Roku streaming box and have never had a wi-fi problem. Yet I have a relative who has connection issues with one of the Amazon sticks, with it buffering.

Would definitely buy a Roku box again if needed.

_________________
Known as: Pennywise
Manager [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
avatar
Squirrel Nutley
Has Topping

Posts : 984
Join date : 2018-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Squirrel Nutley wrote:I have a Roku streaming box and have never had a wi-fi problem. Yet I have a relative who has connection issues with one of the Amazon sticks, with it buffering.

Would definitely buy a Roku box again if needed.
Good to hear. From what I can gather many people agree that Roku is very stable barely no buffering, they have a very stable connection. I think it'll be an improvement over my TVs wi-fi and built in apps.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by Aqua on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 pm

I am content with my mobile, kindle, i-pod, lappy and tablet.

My Hubby and the kids have every gadget, device and techie stuff known to mankind.

That's fine, often I end up watching tv in the bedroom, as I don't know how to get the channels back up on any of the others, to watch Jeremy Kyle bawl bawl bawl

Aqua
Well Done

Posts : 294
Join date : 2018-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Aqua wrote:I am content with my mobile, kindle, i-pod, lappy and tablet.

My Hubby and the kids have every gadget, device and techie stuff known to mankind.

That's fine,  often I end up watching tv in the bedroom, as I don't know how to get the channels back up on any of the others, to watch Jeremy Kyle bawl bawl bawl
titter

I used to work in Comet many moons ago I was one of the better sales guys though. snooty Many of them knew sod all about the products.

And you aren't doing so bad with the gadgets. Mr Green
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by Liberty Prime on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 pm

jp762 wrote:Thought I'd start a tech thread. I'm into having great Sound & Vision the best I can afford at any given time. It's been my thing and a Hobby for about 15 years now. I'm up on the latest tech, TVs, HI-FI separates, Amps, Speakers etc And I know a good number of decent review sites, if anyone wants to check out expert reviews before making a purchase.

Also if people want to ask a tech question for example about 4K, HDR, HLG, they can do it here. And any buying advice someone may want can be discussed here as well. General techy advice if someone is stuck as regards to how to set something up is also welcome.

Computer related things I'm not so up on, although I know my way around such things to an extent. But I'm sure there are other people here who are well up on laptops and the like, and the ins and out of how to sort out any issues that may come up.

I'm going to be buying a Roku streaming stick+ next week, I have plenty of Apps built into my TV. But the Roku is suppose to offer a very stable WI-FI connection it has a built in signal amplifier. It's suppose be a great all-round streaming device.

I've got a Now TV Roku box but barely use the thing these days.

If anyone doesn't have one, I'd recommend a Google Chromecast. Fairly cheap, about £30 and you can basically play anything from your laptop phone etc straight to your tv. Love it.
avatar
Liberty Prime
Burnt

Posts : 1190
Join date : 2018-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Liberty Prime wrote:
jp762 wrote:Thought I'd start a tech thread. I'm into having great Sound & Vision the best I can afford at any given time. It's been my thing and a Hobby for about 15 years now. I'm up on the latest tech, TVs, HI-FI separates, Amps, Speakers etc And I know a good number of decent review sites, if anyone wants to check out expert reviews before making a purchase.

Also if people want to ask a tech question for example about 4K, HDR, HLG, they can do it here. And any buying advice someone may want can be discussed here as well. General techy advice if someone is stuck as regards to how to set something up is also welcome.

Computer related things I'm not so up on, although I know my way around such things to an extent. But I'm sure there are other people here who are well up on laptops and the like, and the ins and out of how to sort out any issues that may come up.

I'm going to be buying a Roku streaming stick+ next week, I have plenty of Apps built into my TV. But the Roku is suppose to offer a very stable WI-FI connection it has a built in signal amplifier. It's suppose be a great all-round streaming device.

I've got a Now TV Roku box but barely use the thing these days.

If anyone doesn't have one, I'd recommend a Google Chromecast. Fairly cheap, about £30 and you can basically play anything from your laptop phone etc straight to your tv. Love it.
Good shout for the Chromecast. No 4k though on that model if that's what someone is interested in.

4k is on the up but it's been pretty slow, the BBC haven't even got their 4k TV channel going yet. They first mentioned it quite some time ago.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by NN on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 pm

I’m about to add another SSD and upgrade my PC a bit I think. I upgraded the graphics card a while back but didn’t upgrade my screen so I reckon that is first up.
avatar
NN
Has Topping

Posts : 562
Join date : 2018-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm

NN wrote:I’m about to add another SSD and upgrade my PC a bit I think. I upgraded the graphics card a while back but didn’t upgrade my screen so I reckon that is first up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea if you know those sites if you want advice they're good.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by NN on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:06 pm

jp762 wrote:
NN wrote:I’m about to add another SSD and upgrade my PC a bit I think. I upgraded the graphics card a while back but didn’t upgrade my screen so I reckon that is first up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea if you know those sites if you want advice they're good.

Perfect! Thank you! I’m guilty of just buying the first one I see.
I did buy a new monitor but I didn’t like it at all, so went back to the old one. I should probs compare them too before I buy one.
avatar
NN
Has Topping

Posts : 562
Join date : 2018-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by Aqua on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 pm

NN wrote:
jp762 wrote:
NN wrote:I’m about to add another SSD and upgrade my PC a bit I think. I upgraded the graphics card a while back but didn’t upgrade my screen so I reckon that is first up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea if you know those sites if you want advice they're good.

Perfect! Thank you! I’m guilty of just buying the first one I see.
I did buy a new monitor but I didn’t like it at all, so went back to the old one. I should probs compare them too before I buy one.


I'm the same, I'm a go in and just get it, as long as it sounds like it does what I want I just get it. When they start going on about all the techie stuff. I just smile and nod. Can never work, or fathom the bloody thing out when I'm let loose on it though. lol!

Aqua
Well Done

Posts : 294
Join date : 2018-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 pm

NN wrote:
jp762 wrote:
NN wrote:I’m about to add another SSD and upgrade my PC a bit I think. I upgraded the graphics card a while back but didn’t upgrade my screen so I reckon that is first up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea if you know those sites if you want advice they're good.

Perfect! Thank you! I’m guilty of just buying the first one I see.
I did buy a new monitor but I didn’t like it at all, so went back to the old one. I should probs compare them too before I buy one.
I used to sometimes do that but haven't for years. I know plenty of people do. Good sites with good reviewers can actually save you money, a lot of people think more expensive the better it must be, not always true.

Some of these sites are good at advising what gives you the best value for your money. Sometimes a product can be a bit cheaper but actually it's a tad better overall than one or two slightly more expensive products. Some companies are very good at delivering the best bang for your bucks.

These kind of websites can sort that out for you.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by NN on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:50 pm

jp762 wrote:
NN wrote:
jp762 wrote:
NN wrote:I’m about to add another SSD and upgrade my PC a bit I think. I upgraded the graphics card a while back but didn’t upgrade my screen so I reckon that is first up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea if you know those sites if you want advice they're good.

Perfect! Thank you! I’m guilty of just buying the first one I see.
I did buy a new monitor but I didn’t like it at all, so went back to the old one. I should probs compare them too before I buy one.
I used to sometimes do that but haven't for years. I know plenty of people do. Good sites with good reviewers can actually save you money, a lot of people think more expensive the better it must be, not always true.

Some of these sites are good at advising what gives you the best value for your money. Sometimes a product can be a bit cheaper but actually it's a tad better overall than one or two slightly more expensive products. Some companies are very good at delivering the best bang for your bucks.

These kind of websites can sort that out for you.

I generally check for important bits like the cpu and gpu. But I get lazy with shit like the monitor and work and truly fucked up.

I wouldn’t mind a new desk either so I can set up another monitor.
avatar
NN
Has Topping

Posts : 562
Join date : 2018-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Speaking of laptops and stuff.

Does anyone one find heat and humidity fucks up their wi-fi connection a little, my laptop isn't as responsive in these conditions, not as fast. Could be the laptop itself though, the fan is permanently on right now.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by MG on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:57 pm

jp762 wrote:Speaking of laptops and stuff.

Does anyone one find heat and humidity fucks up their wi-fi connection a little, my laptop isn't as responsive in these conditions, not as fast. Could be the laptop itself though, the fan is permanently on right now.

Actually, yes. Mine is far slower than usual. I hadn't thought of the weather affecting it!
avatar
MG
Burnt

Posts : 1308
Join date : 2018-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:00 pm

MG wrote:
jp762 wrote:Speaking of laptops and stuff.

Does anyone one find heat and humidity fucks up their wi-fi connection a little, my laptop isn't as responsive in these conditions, not as fast. Could be the laptop itself though, the fan is permanently on right now.

Actually, yes. Mine is far slower than usual.  I hadn't thought of the weather affecting it!
Yeah and now a nice breeze just now started blowing in through my window it's back to it's normal speed, best in a couple of days. The router is in this room as well. lol
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by NN on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:19 pm

It’ll most likely be the humidity, or maybe heat affecting connections somewhere.
Could also be the laptop itself heating up. Does it fee hot? If you download a program called Speccy it’ll tell you how hot the laptop is. Rather than sitting it on your knee, it may be better raising it up and resting on something that gives it a bit of air movement.
avatar
NN
Has Topping

Posts : 562
Join date : 2018-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by xtras on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:29 pm

I can now attach a document to an email... does that help Smile
avatar
xtras
Burnt

Posts : 2666
Join date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by Raymundo Sunshinez on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:36 pm

jp762 wrote:
4k is on the up but it's been pretty slow, the BBC haven't even got their 4k TV channel going yet. They first mentioned it quite some time ago.

They're streaming 4k on the iPlayer for the World Cup as a trial, you have to sign up though (and have a compatible TV), only 13,000 can sign up per game I think.
avatar
Raymundo Sunshinez
Has Topping

Posts : 775
Join date : 2018-06-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by NN on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 pm

xtras wrote:I can now attach a document to an email... does that help Smile

cheers
avatar
NN
Has Topping

Posts : 562
Join date : 2018-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 pm

NN wrote:It’ll most likely be the humidity, or maybe heat affecting connections somewhere.
Could also be the laptop itself heating up. Does it fee hot? If you download a program called Speccy it’ll tell you how hot the laptop is. Rather than sitting it on your knee, it may be better raising it up and resting on something that gives it a bit of air movement.
Cool, thanks for the info and  tips.

Mine doesn't feel that hot not right now at least. Didn't feel around the thing earlier, as I say a light breeze is now around in this part of the Country.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by Aqua on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:57 pm

xtras wrote:I can now attach a document to an email... does that help Smile

I keep thinking I've mastered it... Bloody attachments never seem to arrive at their destination with the sodding email though Embarassed

Bloody technology scratch

Aqua
Well Done

Posts : 294
Join date : 2018-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Marrowfat wrote:
jp762 wrote:
4k is on the up but it's been pretty slow, the BBC haven't even got their 4k TV channel going yet. They first mentioned it quite some time ago.

They're streaming 4k on the iPlayer for the World Cup as a trial, you have to sign up though (and have a compatible TV), only 13,000 can sign up per game I think.
Yes, I'm getting the Roku steaming stick+ later in the week for that reason, well that's the main reason and the upcoming 4K HLG(HDR) Wimbledon. My TV is up to spec, apart from the processor that deals with apps/streaming.

I've seen other people who have my exact TV mention how they can't get the iplayer 4K(HLG) World Cup trial through the app on their TV or their V6 virgin box. But they can get it through a Roku streaming stick+.


But.. come on BBC get an actual 4K channel going. Very Happy
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by NN on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 pm

jp762 wrote:
NN wrote:It’ll most likely be the humidity, or maybe heat affecting connections somewhere.
Could also be the laptop itself heating up. Does it fee hot? If you download a program called Speccy it’ll tell you how hot the laptop is. Rather than sitting it on your knee, it may be better raising it up and resting on something that gives it a bit of air movement.
Cool, thanks for the info and  tips.

Mine doesn't feel that hot not right now at least. Didn't feel around the thing earlier, as I say a light breeze is now around in this part of the Country.

My laptop used to overheat all the sodding time. It’d run at about 70c, my PC now runs at about 20c I think, and it works a hell of a lot harder than the laptop ever did.
avatar
NN
Has Topping

Posts : 562
Join date : 2018-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by jp762 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 pm

xtras wrote:I can now attach a document to an email... does that help Smile
I'm going to call you Bill from now on.
avatar
jp762
Burnt

Posts : 2060
Join date : 2018-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronics & Gadgets

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum